Monday, January 31, 2011

Why I Can't Be a Democrat

Since I was thirteen years old I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I was a 100% blue-hearted Democrat.  It was Mr. Lockhart's eighth grade civics class, and in the middle of the 1992 presidential election.  Everything about the party spoke to me; strong public education, improved standard of living for the middle class, equal wages for all minorities, and the list goes on and on.  I was so stoked I even went up to Washington, D.C. for Bill Clinton's inauguration.

It would seem though that the party that I believed in doesn't exist at all.  I would say it is a myth or a fairy tale but those at least have some moral, meaning, or special truth to them.  The Democratic Party I fell in love with is simply...non-existent.

Two wars with promises of there being no end in sight.  Continued record high unemployment while the rich get richer.  Public education: a farce.  Constitutional rights be wittled away on a daily basis, save a misguided interpretation of the second amendment.  All this and much more while Democrats do little to nothing to stop it - and in  many cases encourage it.  An accomplice in any crime is just as guilty.

For these reasons, I have decided to write with a Populist point of view - that is, writing from the point of view of the People.  I will go back to being a Democrat when Democrats go back to being Democrats.

No comments:

Post a Comment